Foundation History and Purpose
The A.D. Henderson Foundation was founded in 1959 by Alexander D. and Lucy E. Henderson, who made their home in Broward County, Florida. Dedicated to improving the lives of children through education, the Hendersons also sought to meet the constantly changing needs of our society. Through the Foundation, they strove to improve the economic, social, and physical well-being of their communities. Later, their son A. Douglas Henderson, moved to Vermont and chose to expand these ideals in his new home.
The mission of the A.D. Henderson Foundation is to promote early learning (0-5 years) and to increase the number of children entering kindergarten ready to succeed in Vermont and Broward County, Florida. We also seek to expand the capacity of nonprofit organizations in Vermont to operate efficiently. Our focus areas for capacity building include, but are not limited to mentoring and early learning.